Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sponsoring

This is not exactly about teaching... but it is important!

Sponsorship.

I know many people are skeptical of sending $35 a month to some kid somewhere in the world that you will probably never meet, but it is so much more than that.

I realized, recently, that my monthly phone bill (iPhone and data plan) costs more than what my sponsored children's parents make in a month. That's right. My phone bill costs more than all of the money that Ashifa's parents make, combined, each month.

At some point during my teaching career, I also realized that many of the kids who I absolutely adore could have been the faces posted on World Vision's website. If they had not moved here, they could have been "those kids" waiting for a sponsor. Hungry. Not going to school. Living in trash heaps.

Here's another thought- what made me so lucky to be able to pay my silly phone bill? I was born here. That's it, really. Because I'm not a genius or an inventor or a super talented entertainer. Those are things that, every once in a while, lift people out of poverty.

No, the only reason that I am able to afford all of the crap I have is that I was born here to educated parents.

In other words, it could just as easily have been ME waiting for a sponsor. Or you. Or your kid.

God has seen it fit to give us a lot.

Share. That's what we tell our kids to do in class!

Go to WORLD VISION and sponsor a kid... now!

No comments:

Post a Comment