Thursday, June 14, 2012

Immersion Camp 1.0

This week we began our first annual immersion summer camp! Since it is our first time EVER doing a summer immersion camp, we've hit a few bumps in the road but overall it has gone very well.

Today we went downtown to explore and have some fun. On our way to the public library, my seat buddy, a little guy who I absolutely adore, was asleep with his head on my shoulder (heart=melt!) so I was listening to the girls behind me. Sneaky, I know. I heard the following statement...

"It's at at the bottom of a mountain, under a hill. That's why they call it DOWN town!"


(insert teacher trying hard not to laugh too loud here!)

One of our stops today was the Carew Tower, one of the tallest buildings in Cincy. My friend (the aforementioned sleeping child) is terrified of heights. The idea of going to the 50th floor of a building really freaked him out! When I promised him that I would be with him, though, he decided to go up. When we got to the top, his big brown eyes became the size of soccer balls, he gripped my hand to the point of popping the joints and then.... then his eyes lit up with the wonder of seeing the city from so high, and he ran (ran!) to the corner to look out across the river. Grinning from ear to ear, he totally forgot that he was afraid of heights!

BEST MOMENT EVER!!!

In other odd news, a man with an iguana on his shoulder walked through Fountain Square and let the kids pet his lizard.

We also had horchata today.

Life is good!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day!! What is horchata?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a rice based drink... it is hard to explain but it is HEAVENLY!

    ReplyDelete