Sunday, June 10, 2012

A New Blog


Una manaza dulce... a sweet apple. The first day of school is always a little crazy. This year was no exception. As I took my students to the bathroom, I stood with my hands behind my back, modeling the expected behavior. Suddenly, I felt a small hand cupping mine, and something round being placed into my hand. I turned around to find a 3rd grader, who had never been in my class, smiling, as she said, "una manzana dulce para ti, Señorita!" A sweet apple for you!

I was so touched that I took a picture of it!

I've decided to create this blog to discuss the unique challenges that I face as a first grade teacher in a Spanish immersion classroom.

Immersion is a form of foreign language instruction in which I (the teacher) deliver my instruction IN Spanish. This means that when I teach math, I speak Spanish. When I teach social studies, I speak Spanish.

Oh, and the kids speak Spanish, too.

Yes, I did say first grade, and no, they are not all native speakers.

The kicker? The district is broke and we have very few materials in the language!

So here is where I will post my thoughts on immersion, my trials and tribulations, my failures, successes, and the inevitable crazy story.


2 comments:

  1. God bless you!! That has to be difficult!!

    The apple----how sweet!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difficult, but worth it! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else... even if it were easier!

    ReplyDelete